SC - Suggestions & Review Requested.

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Sep 11 18:45:31 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 11 Sep 00,, that Jim Revells wrote:

> Mulled Cider-Any suggestions on spices to use?

As you probably know, I think mulled cider was discussed on this list,
and regretably, no one could document it as a beverage in period.  That
said, I think the usual sweet spices (except allspice) would be good
choices.  There is a recipe in Granado for a sauce made from spiced
apple juice mixed with a little vinegar and white wine.  Per 16 oz. of
juice, 8 oz. of sugar, 1/4 oz. whole cinnamon, half a nutmeg and 4
cloves.  Now, this is supposed to be cooked down until it is thick (it's a
sauce not a beverage), but you can take it as a rough guide to what
some late-period cooks thought were the appropriate spices for apple
juice.  And since the instruction for making the juice specifies that the
apples are *not* to be peeled before pressing, I believe it would make
something closer to sweet cider than the clear filtered apple juice.

HTH

> Your assistance is appreciated.
> Olaf Of Trollhiemsfjord,

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain