SC - jerky and salted foods for fighters?

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Mon Sep 11 21:31:30 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Is giving heavily salted foods to possibly dehydrated fighters actually
> a good idea? Wouldn't eating beef jerky, or any heavily salted food,
> draw out water from tissues? Wouldn't this make any dehydration even
> worse? Or are we assuming that the fighter's salt has also been
> depleted and that you just give extra liquid to counteract any liquid
> that the salt would tend to suck out of tissues?

>From what I read, sodium actually helps the body's tissue hold more
water, rather than bind the water from use by the body. Sodium is also
in sports drinks (Gatorade as the highest), in day gone by, salt pills
were issued to troops serving in the tropics, rehydration therapy may
use saline solution or Ringer's lactate intravenously.

Heavy amounts, and/or by themselves without water as well, I don't
recommend.

Seumas
- --
Roi ne suis prince, ni duc, ni comte aussi; je suis sire de
Bruyerecourt.