SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 11 21:58:44 PDT 2000

Morgan said:
> I have seen only one message by someone with experience in feeding things to
>fighters, and her list included pretzels and other popular nonperiod
items
>in with the sausages and orange slices.  That might be something for
those
>of you insisting upon only period foodstuffs to consider.

Well, pretzels are period, and probably a lot more period than orange slices,
unless you mean the sour oranges.
See the recent threads on this list with period german pretzel recipes by
Thomas and this file in the FOOD-BREADS section of my Florilegium:
pretzels-msg      (19K)  1/14/00    Period pretzels and pretzel-like breads.

> And BTW, I agree that pickled eggs are A Good Thing, but the glass jars
>in which they are usually packed are a problem for transport -- bulky
and
>fragile.

Well then, don't transport them in glass jars, which are non-period
anyway. Clay pots are probably just as heavy though. Transfer the
pickled eggs or whatever to plastic containers and either keep them
out of sight when you dish food out, or transfer them to a period
container on the table, or whatever and just refill the smaller, more
period container periodically. :-)

> Maybe Poppa Gunthar, who is one of the few active fighters on this list
>(AFAIK; I am still medically retired, but I loved pretzel nuggets,
grapes,
>and hard-boiled eggs the best) can offer some insights as to what
fighters
>grave after a hot afternoon in battle.

Again, all of these are period or have period forms. Certainly a lot
closer to period than synthetic food like twinkies and are probably
better for the fighters than the high sugar foods like twinkies.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net