SC - Pies

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 13 09:20:49 PDT 2000

I guess I am being more subtly pedantic that people comprehend.

When I say a PIE, that is what I mean -- something with a bottom crust, and maybe a top one, baked in a pan or form of some kind.

What everybody else has been talking about is what I learned to call a PASTY, maybe from spending part of my childhood in England.  And yes, Cindy has it as RAPEYE from period recipes, so I guess that answers the question.  It's still not a PIE, I note they have an entirely different set of receipts under that title.

I was going to point out to 'Lainie the problem that her picture does not come with a caption such as "Humbert is enjoying a tasty pasty filled with...." such as modern adverts and social column photos include until Cindy posted her recipes.

Does my vocabulary make sense now?  I still don't think that the turnover-like things you hold in your hand are pies, no matter what Hostess says and despite the fact that fried pies are very popular hereabouts (especially peach in season).

                  ---= Morgan