SC - Re: african peanuts?

Nisha Martin nishamartin at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 11:31:41 PDT 2000

Subject: Re: SC - Sweet and Savory

I guess it was a post from someone else earlier...and
an assumption
that it was
a dish introduced to the colonists by their slaves.
Also, as I
understand it
(don't remember the source but IIRC there were
several), the peanut
originated
in Africa.

Kiri

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> Not saying you're worng, but what is the rationale
for the African
origin of
> peanut soup?
>
> Bear
>

> > Kiri
 Hi,
if I remember my american history correctly, until
Booker T Washington did his work with peanuts, they
were widely thought to be poison for human
consumption. Before this time, they were only good for
feeding livestock(and unfortunately, at that time, the
term livestock applied to slaves as well, since they
weren't widely considered human.Which today, we all
know is BS.) I'm not sure if peanuts were brought with
the slaves from africa, like okra, they may be
indiginous, but they certainly knew what to do with
them once they got here. However they got here, I
certainly am glad they did. Peanut soup sounds
interesting, something I might even be able to get my
two year old to eat.
Have a good day,
Nisha