SC - jerky documentation?

Serian serian at uswest.net
Thu Sep 14 23:08:06 PDT 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> AFAIK, charqi made from bison or deermeat was discovered by Spanish
> explorers, being eaten by Native American travellers (the jerky, not the
> explorers, that is), in the 16th century or so. Whether or not its use
> was transferred to Europeans in period, I don't know.

Yes, I've made jerky and pemmican (SP) before.  It also
seems to me that other nomadic groups might have dried meat
for preservation.    Certainly it has Society value in that
it is easy to transport and feed to people.

I recently made a lemon and ginger flavored beef jerky that
went over quite well.  Curiosity then overcame me as I was
working on documentation for my kingdom A&S food and music
entries.

Serian