SC - Rasp cream from Martha

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Fri Sep 15 15:37:15 PDT 2000

     Ariann

> Raspberry Cream
> redacted by G. Riley from _Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery_
>
> 1 pint (600 ml) fresh heavy cream
> 3 whites of eggs
> 2 blades mace
> 1 tsp grated lemon peel (without pith)
> 2 oz (60 g) white sugar
> 1 lb (500 g) raspberries
>
> Melt the sugar and raspberries together on a very low heat.  Strain
through a fine sieve into a bowl and let it cool. Meanwhile bring the cream
up to the boil, then take it off the heat.  Add, very carefully, the egg
whites beaten with a little cold cream and stir gently until the custard
thickens, putting the pan back on the heat from time to time to avoid
cooling too soon.  Put on one side and let it cool, then stir in the
raspberry juice.  Mix together thoroughly to get an even pink color, or
swirl the juice in with the minimum of stirring to create a marbled effect.
> __________________________

    From _A Booke of Cookery_ p 142,  Recipe # 125:  Tom Make Rasberry Cream

Take a pinte of cream & boyle it with 3 whites of eggs beaten well with
warme cream, put in a blade or 2 of mace & some leamon pill, & when it is
pritty well boyled take it of & season it with sugar & put in some Juice of
rasberries.  stir it well together & when it is cold serve it up.  thus you
may make curranberrie, sorrel, or leamon cream.

AUTHORS NOTE:  This cream is also a kind of fool, the kind that combined
custard and fruit (see fool, C109).  Omitting the egg yolks is perceptive in
this case as they veil the intensity of these fruit flavors; it also makes
the cooking of the custard a bit tricky, although the use of heavy cream
makes this possible.  Observe all rules of cooking custard and be especially
careful about not overcooking.  The use of sorrel in these creams was fairly
common and not at all outre.

    MY OWN THOUGHTS:   The amount of sugar in Riley's redaction may be too
much.  The  martha one says  *season it with*  so,  a lighter touch may be
better.  (tho' incorporating the sugar iin the ras juice is a idea)

    Sorry it took so long  --   I still have a good third to read thru!!
(and then off to the copier!!)

    Caointiarn