SC - jerky documentation?

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Fri Sep 15 18:25:15 PDT 2000

pat fee wrote:

>   Pure glucos causes an almost instant insulin reaction.  That is a release
> of an over abundant supply for the amount of glucos, present in the
> bloodstream of persons who suffer from low blood sugar.  Hence, the protein
> and carbs+ glucos that jerky offers.

My apologies for my tenacious bluntness, but if low blood sugar is a
condition you wish to alleviate, jerky offers only a little help. It has
far more protein (around 25%) than carbs or fat. It has barely more than
1% carbohydrates, hardly the choice to raise blood sugar more than
slightly. Protein is used for _building_ body tissue, not fuelling the
body. It is of great use after substantial physical activity, to help
the body rebuild itself. Fat does offer more in the way of energy, but
is best suited for long sustained activity, not recovering from low
blood sugar. And jerky/dried beef as only about 3% fat.

Seumas
- --
Roi ne suis prince, ni duc, ni comte aussi; je suis sire de
Bruyerecourt.