[mk-cooks] Re: SC - Sausage Recipes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Sep 16 01:52:54 PDT 2000

The Milham translation of Platina conveniently footnotes recipes to
the corresponding recipe in Martino; I checked and the quantities are
the same.

Milham also has a recipe given in the translation as:

A Dish from Tongues and Sausages (p. 229. Bk IV ch 20).

The word translated as "sausages" is "Lucanicis. " The word
translated as "Lucanian Sausage" in the recipe you did is
"Lucanicae." I believe they are the same word, although my Latin
isn't good enough to be certain--at least, the book's index
references both passages for the same word. I don't know why Milham
translates it "sausages" in one place and "Lucanian sausage" in the
other.

The recipe starts:

"Let salted tongues be cooked in water, and when they are cooked, cut
them up in pieces, put them in a dish, and add some parsley, mint,
sage and spices, as much as is enough. Let vinegar be poured in last.
The same is done for larger sausages (lucanicis maioribus), ...  ."

Presumably, cooking salted tongues in water and then taking them out
gets rid of some of the salt, and similarly with the sausages. You
might want to try some of yours in that recipe.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/