SC - Preserving eggs.

pat fee lcatherinemc at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 16 11:26:37 PDT 2000

Greetings.

I have come across an recipe from my family's cook book for preserving eggs
(the recipes will be up some time before Christmas.  The Scottish Royal
Society for Preservation of Historical Artifacts, has requested that we let
them copy the book, before any of it is released to the public.)
  I  have had this recipe in my files for years, it's the  modern
translation so I can use it. Does anyone know of any other recipes of this
type?
  It goes some thing like this

   Take the eggs of good (trust worthy) hens, and boiul them until they are
firm.  Remove them of their shells and allow them to cool.
   Prepare a crock, add sliced red roots, (beets)and garlic. Place the
shelless eggs in it until it be almost full.
   Boiul good hearty vinegar and such herbs as dill and rosemary. Pour the
hot slurry(?)over the roots and eggs until covered.
Take a circle of wood that does fit the the crock's mouth and fit it in.
Seal the whole top with bee's wax, or fat if that is what is available.

  Preserved Eggs

  I dozen medium eggs hard boiled
  3 or 4 beets cooked,peeled and sliced
  5 or 6 cloves of garlic peeled and scored.
  hand full of fresh dill(or 1 Tbls. of dill seeds) and several sprigs of
rosemary.
  1/2 gallon good vinegar, I use white wine vinegar.

Place the cooked and peeled eggs in layers with the beets, garlic and herbs,
in a large jar with a non-metallic lid. Heat the Vinegar to boiling and pour
over the eggs etc. Cap and let set for at least one month.
  I prefer to not boil the herbs in the vinegar.  They seem to impart a
stronger flavor if layered in with the eggs.
  I would recommend storing these in the refrigerator, to insure food
safety.
  This is some what like a Polish recipe that I posted several months back.
Which led me to wonder if there were more such around.

Lady Katherine McGuire