SC - Colcannon

Isha ArrowHawk ArianneShadowWalker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 17 12:29:32 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Nisha Martin <nishamartin at yahoo.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2000 2:05 PM
Subject: SC - Colcannon

> Hi,
> I have a friend who is looking for a recipe for
> colcannon. If anyone has one, could you please email
> it to me? I've looked in the FLori and didn't find
> anything. THanks for the help.
> Nisha

Here you go.  :)

Ari

==

COLCANNON

- ----

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                                COLCANNON

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Main Dish                        Vegetarian
                Crockpot

- --------  ------------  --------------------------------
   1       lb           Potatoes, sliced
   2       md           Parsnips,peeled and sliced
   2       md           Leeks
   1       c            Potato or soy milk
   1       lb           Kale or cabbage
     1/2   ts           Mace (optional)
   2       x            Garlic cloves, minced
   1       d            Salt
   1       d            Pepper
   2       tb           Margarine (soy)
   1       bn           Parsley

  Cook the potatoes and parsnips in water until tender.
  While these are cooking,chop leeks (greens as well as
  whites) and simmer in the milk until soft. Next, cook
  the kale or cabbage and have warm and well chopped.
  Drain the potatoes, season with mace,garlic, salt and
  pepper, and beat well. Add the cooked leeks and milk
  (be careful not to break down the leeks too much).
  Finally, blend in the kale or cabbage and margarine.
  The texture should be that of a smooth-buttery potato
  with well distributed pieces of leek and kale. Garnish
  with parsley. Colcannon is also made by cooking
  layered vegetables, starting with potatoes, in a
  slow-cooker during the day. Drain vegetables, blend
  with milk and margarine as above and garnish with
  parsley.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Colcannon

- ----

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.01

      Title: Colcannon
 Categories: Side dish, Irish
      Yield: 6 servings

      1 md Head cabbage, quartered and
           -core removed
      2 lb Potatoes, scubbed and sliced
           -with skins left on
      2 md Leeks, thoroughly washed and
           -sliced
      1 c  Milk
    1/2 t  Mace
           Salt
           Pepper
      2    Garlic cloves
      8 T  Unsalted butter

  Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and boil the cabbage until
  tender, about 12-15 minutes. Drain off the water and chop the
  cabbage. Set aside.

  Bring another pot of water to a boil and boil the potatoes until
  tender. Drain off the water and set aside.

  Put the leeks in a saucepan, cover with the milk, bring close to
  boiling and then turn down to a simmer until tender. Set aside.

  Add the mace, salt and pepper, and garlic to the pot with the
  potatoes and mash well with a hand masher. Now add the leeks and
  their milk and mix in with the potatoes, taking care not to break
  down the leeks too much. Add a little more milk if necessary to make
  it smooth. Now mash in the cabbage and lastly the butter. The texture
  that you want to achieve is smooth-buttery-potato with interesting
  pieces of leek and cabbage well distributed in it.

  Transfer the whole mixture to an ovenproof dish, make a pattern on the
  surface and place under the broiler to brown.

MMMMM

- ---

Colcannon

- ----

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                                Colcannon

Recipe By     : Elizabeth Powell
Categories    : Vegetables                       Ethnic
                Potatoes

- --------  ------------  --------------------------------
   4      medium        potatoes -- peeled and boiled
   3      tablespoons   butter -- to taste
     1/2  teaspoon      salt -- to taste
     1/8  teaspoon      black pepper -- to taste
     1/4  cup           milk
   2      tablespoons   sour cream
   8      ounces        kale -- cooked and chopped
   1      tablespoon    onion -- grated

     Mash potatoes with butter, salt, pepper, milk and sour cream until
light and fluffy. Stir in kale and grated onion. Serve at once.