SC - Fats for sausages and other questions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Sep 17 20:27:19 PDT 2000

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> And it came to pass on 17 Sep 00,, that Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>
> > The best fat to add for sausages is a hard back fat or kidney suet.
>
> Thank you!  You answered a question that was in the back of my mind:
> is there a specific term for the fat on the kidneys?  Kidney suet.
> Hmmmm...  Cool.  I learn something new every day on this list.

Suet is pretty much a generic term. Unqualified by species, it is
generally assumed to be beef suet. Kidney fat of pigs is usually leaf
lard or hog suet, AFAIK. In some places, presumaby parts of England,
there's flead, which, IIRC, generally refers to the kidney fat of either
sheep or hogs.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy