Southern Sweet Tooths (was Re: SC - Miracle Whip OOP (was Re: Sweet and Savory)) >

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Sep 19 23:35:44 PDT 2000

Adamantius replied to me:
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > I've always heard that the term came from a ranch in Texas named the:
> > ---
> > B Q , in otherwords, a cattle brand of a bar over the letters B and Q.
>
> And the man wins an 8-ounce jar of Miracle Whip! But at least the
> portions are small! (Sorry, I couldn't help myself, I'll be good now, honest!)

Blech. But then I don't like Mayonaise either. I much prefer mustards.
And there is such a wide variety there. Even if I just stick to modern
store bought stuff. I've got the mustard seed and now even some grape
must. Sometime I'm going to find the time to try more of the period
mustard recipes.

I posted this before I saw the info about the history behind the word
barbeque that someone else posted. I'm willing to think that that is
the more likely source. If the dates are correct, they certainly precede
anything that came from early Texas ranching.

> 1) Texas BBQ is always beef, and no other meat.

Umm. Maybe. Beef is certainly more common, but sausage (which I
doubt is always all beef sausage) and chicken, as well as some pork,
at least pork ribs, are now common but they are done with the beef,
seldom alone.

The beef is usually sliced. When it is available chopped or shredded,
it is cheaper. Either because a lesser grade of meat can be used or
it is less labor intensive. Or maybe just because folks are more
willing to pay more for sliced.

> 2) Texas BBQ is always called BBQ or BB-Q, never Bar-B-Q and certainly
> never barbecue.

I've not noticed. I'll have to keep my eyes open for this.

> 3) Texas BBQ is always eaten off a paper plate (I think he says
> something about bread or buns, but I forget what)

Bzzzt. Nope. Paper towels yes but I've not notice paper plates
being used in resturants just picnics and catered picnics. There
are a number of older, rustic places (and some brand new ones, that
want to look that way) that do serve it that way. You often buy it
buy the pound. And if you want to make a sandwich, you make it yourself
with the bread slices provided.

> 4) Proper Texas BBQ is always purchased from a counter after waiting on
> line; if a waiter brings it to you it is disqualified as effete

Again, yes in some of the older places and the new, counterfeit rustic
ones. I thought it was interesting that in one of the recent counterfeit
rustic ones, I looked at the ingredients list on their sauce bottle, which
they just happened(!) to sell. It looked more like it came out of a chemical
factory than a kitchen.

> There may be others, but that's all I can remember. It also should be
> noted that while Joe Bob is from Grapevine, Texas, John Bloom was born
> in Arkansas.

I like his reviews of medieval movies. I tried to get him to let me
put them in the Florilegium, but I never heard back from him.

> Adamantius

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net