SC - Re: Manteca

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 20 08:33:44 PDT 2000

Whoops!  Knew I shouldn't have taken my source text home!  I can only access
my Hotmail account at work, since I don't have a computer at home.  They're
pretty understanding. I'll have to double-check the wording and get back to
the list.

As far as "aceite" being used to indicate animal fats, I'm pretty sure that
in "Manjar Blanco para Dolientes que No Comen Nada" De Nola uses "aceite" to
indicate fat from a chicken's egg sac.  Also for the "torta a la genovesa"
he instructs the cook to add a little "aceite de bazo" to the pan to keep
the dough from sticking.  "Aceite de bazo" iterally translates to "oil of
the spleen"; as far as I know, spleens don't contain oil; it made more sense
to use "fat".  I could be wrong, though. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable
of animal anatomy could instruct us?

"Manteca" does mean "butter" in Argentina; suffice it to say I didn't eat
much buttered toast when I was down there.  The dialect preserves some
interesting survivals of Renaissance Spanish; they use an informal
second-person plural form of address in place of the more common
second-person singular. ("vos" instead of "tu").  This is an antiquated form
of formal address used in the 15th and 16th centuries.  Of course,
Argentines are weird, anyway.  :)
(totally off topic, I know, but certainly no more so than boiled peanuts and
Miracle Whip!)

Vicente
(once we get the whole "electuary" vs "butter" thing sorted out, I'll post
the recipe.  Really, Olwen, I promise.)

(and as far as waltzing goes, my good Lady Brighid, I am shocked that you
would suggest such a shameless thing!  To dance, facing each other, while
actually touching your waist and clasping your palm!  Horrors!  You'll be
showing off your ankles next! :))