Odd and Interesting foods (was Re: SC - food bashing)

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 20 13:20:13 PDT 2000

Adamantius said:
> It is my understanding that the Brits put milk in black tea- the
> standard sort of stuff. I don't know of anyone who would put it into
> green tea or an herbal. *yeeech!* I specifically put milk in to offset
> the tannic acid. And to accomplish that, it really has to have a little
> fat in it- 2% at minimum, but whole milk is better.

exactly!  my delimna right now is that with a bronchial infection I
shouldn't have milk, but I also have a nervous stomach which is prone to be
very acidy, so I use milk (2%) to offset the acid.  Right now, my body is
having a constant fight between my stomach (which wants *milk*) and my
throat (which *doesn't*) and without the milk in my tea the tannic acid
sets off my stomach.  So it's been peppermint tea for the throat and Earl
Grey straight, then live with the stomach upset <sigh!>

the only (non-herbal) tea that I've had which didn't need milk to offset
the tannic acid (or lemon to offset the super-sweetness, in the case of
iced tea) was "sun tea".  it seemed that the sun brewing process kept the
tannic acid content down.  was that just in my mind, or was that true.

now... a topical question... has the list talked about whether or not tea
is period?  (if so, please point me to the flori-thingy and I'll look it up
later... I'm off to do shopping right now. <s>) ... perhaps we can wend
this off into a discussion of the use of tea-in-period :-)

> The time that I had tea at the Empress in Victoria (ohmigod- nearly 20
> years ago) they had both milk and cream on the table. I've always been a
> tea drinker and didn't blink, but the other American kids I was with
> were very confused. They just don't _do_ tea in teh States much, at five
> o'clock or any other time.

see... I wasn't crazy... although I was obviously wrong.  ;-)

> Craving a mug of Irish Breakfast now, (Twinings, of course)
I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier