SC - Re: Manteca

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Sep 20 19:46:47 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 20 Sep 00,, that Vincent Cuenca wrote:

> 'll have to double-check the wording and get back to the list.

Thank you.  But... just for the sake of my curiosity, which edition are
you working with?

> As far as "aceite" being used to indicate animal fats, I'm pretty sure
> that in "Manjar Blanco para Dolientes que No Comen Nada" De Nola uses
> "aceite" to indicate fat from a chicken's egg sac.

The editions I have (1525 and 1529) say "enxundia" (or "enjundia") "de
la gallina derretida."  Ie., "melted 'enxudia' of the hen".  I don't see the
word "aceite."  "Enxudia" is defined as the fat which hens and other
birds have in their ovary, and also more generally as the fat of any
animal.  So this might mean the fat in the ovary (IS there an animal
antomist here who can shed some light on this?), or it might just mean
chicken fat.

> Also for the "torta a
> la genovesa" he instructs the cook to add a little "aceite de bazo" to the
> pan to keep the dough from sticking.  "Aceite de bazo" iterally translates
> to "oil of the spleen"; as far as I know, spleens don't contain oil; it
> made more sense to use "fat".

I remember that.  I just translated it as "oil from the spleen"; I figured it
was some kind of secretion that more closely resembled oil than fat.

>  I could be wrong, though. Perhaps someone
> more knowledgeable of animal anatomy could instruct us?

Please!!!

> "Manteca" does mean "butter" in Argentina; suffice it to say I didn't eat
> much buttered toast when I was down there.  The dialect preserves some
> interesting survivals of Renaissance Spanish; they use an informal
> second-person plural form of address in place of the more common
> second-person singular. ("vos" instead of "tu").  This is an antiquated
> form of formal address used in the 15th and 16th centuries.  Of course,
> Argentines are weird, anyway.  :)

Ahem.  Watch your language, sirrah.  I've got some cousins down there.

> Vicente
> (once we get the whole "electuary" vs "butter" thing sorted out, I'll post
> the recipe.  Really, Olwen, I promise.)

If you'll show her yours, I'll show her mine.  ;-)

I look forward to seeing yours, just because I'm very curious how similar
or different it is from mine.

> (and as far as waltzing goes, my good Lady Brighid, I am shocked that you
> would suggest such a shameless thing!  To dance, facing each other, while
> actually touching your waist and clasping your palm!

Just don't tell my husband.  He has a jealous streak.

> Horrors!  You'll be
> showing off your ankles next! :))

Well, I *am* Irish.  On the other hand, my ankles are not particularly
worthy of showing off.  :-)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann