SC - Cheese and the FDA

Tollhase1 at aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Thu Sep 21 17:36:11 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/21/00 7:25:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

Hello Adamantius.

Yes, I need cheese.  But more importantly, In reading the instructions with
the kit I received from the New England Cheese Supply co., they warn me not
to use homogenized milk as it will not form curds properly. They also said
not to use Ultra-pasteurized milk.  Regular Pasteurized milk is fine.  In my
local stores, I have not seen any non homogenized milk.  I have never seen
ultra pasteurized that they mentioned.

I have tried any of the health stores yet.  I am going to call some of the
local dairies and see what I can come up with.  Perhaps even put an ad in our
local small farm community paper.  Perhaps one of the local dairy farmers
could supply me with some.  I grew up on unpasteurized milk and other dairy
products until the farm shut down a few years ago.  Ahh Real Cream.  Heck
with all the sheep farmers in the area maybe ewe milk.  As long as I do not
have to milk them.

Frederich

<< Gee I just got a cheese making kit for my Birthday.  Anyone know where I
can
 > find some unhomoginized or un-ultrapasturized milk?  Really I need some.

 If I may ask, why? Because you want to make cheese, or because you want
 to make cheese from unpasteurized, unhomogenized milk?

 Adamantius >>