SC - Period Restaurant?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 21 21:01:22 PDT 2000

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Ras wrote:
> >In a message dated 9/21/00 12:40:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> >luanne at bartholomew.com writes:
> >  > They claim the food is authentic -- it's
> >  >authenticity was "checked by the interior department".  (!?) Hmmm....
> >>
> >  >Anyone else see this review?
> >
> >No. Post a menu and we'll let you know. :-)
>
> Go to the website, whose URL i already posted, but which i will post
> again, and see for yourself.

It looks to me like vaguely Colonial-inspired more-or-less haute
cuisine, with a couple of demonstrably Philadelphia classics
interspersed. For example, they have pepperpot soup, and turkey pie, but
no bacon and greens! Some of it is vaguely Colonial-inspired generic
Eastern Seaboard, like the roast duck and the Maine lobster pie (bet
they were eating a _lot_ of that in Colonial Philadelphia).

I would say it is all pretty much aimed at modern expectations, and any
resemblance to the food of the period is not so much accidental as
contrived and superficial.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy