SC - new people...

Nisha Martin nishamartin at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 22 22:33:27 PDT 2000

> Gosh!  where are you?  We need to hook you up with a
hospitaler or
> chatalaine before you go to your first group, or a
household which
performs
> that type of function (mine used to...), otherwise
you won't get to
enjoy
> anything!

Hi, we have lived in several kingdoms and played with
several groups in the last 8 years. Some groups are
tough to feel like you are a part of, even if you HAVE
been a part of the SCA for a while.
 We quit for 3 years while we lived in California
because we didn't feel that it was worth it to drive
75 miles each way to the closest group when they were
such a tightly knit group you couldn't pry them apart.
They also seemed to have the attitude that since we
were military and would be leaving in a couple of
years, what good were we anyway. We made a few trips
to Phoenix and Las Vegas, and had a wonderful time
there. I'm very happy to be somewhere now that is
close enough that we can play with people we already
know(4 hours to Dallas where most of our household has
relocated) and that the group here is a small but good
bunch of people.

folks can seem cliquish, especially if they're part of
> household or close group,

Speaking of households, one of the main objectives
when the household we are part of was started was to
help out new people. To help them get started so they
didn't feel so lost or overwhelmed. My husband takes
this to extremes sometimes. He'll talk to anyone about
the SCA (FOrever.....)

        I've asked about period garb, to be told
someone would get back
with
me, and they never do.

Email me. nishamartin at yahoo.com I'll do what I can
about the garb questions. I have made all of our garb.
I do it as inexpensively as I can. I dont enjoy
sewing, but I like decent garb and am too cheap to pay
someone else to do something I know how to do myself.

> either the hospitaler's office or the chatalaine's
(if they don't
have a
> hospitaler) office.  You should hook up with that
person if possible
before
> you go to an event, as it's in their "job
description" to help you
out, to
> introduce you around and to help you get involved
without stumbling.
If
> you don't know who that person is, contact your
group's Senechal or
contact
> person and they should get you connected.  If you
dont' have a local
group
> or anyone close enough to help, then write the
Autocrat of the event
(if
> you preregister, or just ask at the troll booth if
you don't) and let
them
> know that you're new and a bit shy and would
appreciate any
assistance
that
> zie can give and the hosting group will likely be
very helpful.
Courtesy
> and Chivalry include providing hospitality for new
comers, and
there's no
> need for you to go to your first even feeling lost
or intimidated in
any
> way.
This is an excellent suggestion. We called before we
got here, so they knew we were coming. That way we
didn't walk into a meeting absolutely"cold". We had
already spoken t o two different people.

            I'm planning to go to Cloved Orange, but I
was told that I
have
to wear orange...and my only outfit isn't.  And I have
yet to learn the
exact location of where it will be held...last I
heard, no one even
knew.

HAVE TO?!?! I've never seen an event where a certain
color was required. I've seen where it was encouraged,
requested, or requested that you NOT wear a certain
color, but not htat it was required.

            I'll fit in somewhere, one of these days.

You already do. It seems like you fit in just fine
here.
Nisha