SC - Sweetened Butter?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Sep 23 19:59:46 PDT 2000

Lady Celia des L'archier said:
> >   And it may be that if you wash your butter throughly wel with rose
> > water before you dish it, and work up some fine sugar in it, that the
> > Country people will go neere to robbe all Cocknies of their breakfasts,
> > unlesse the dairie be well looked unto...
>
> <remainder snipped>
>
> This last paragraph, mentioning the working of sugar into butter, along
> with the fact that butters served with the essential oils of cinnamon, mace
> and cloves implies to me that folks may have had a taste for sweet butters.
> honey was more readily available than sugar.  So why do we believe that
> honey butter is not period

Probably because, so far, this is the best evidence that anyone has
come forward with to suggest it might be period.

> (again, I realize that this may be an old
> argument and a pointer to the flori-thingy will suffice if it's been over
> done>) ?

What I have is likely to be in this file in the FOOD section of the
Florilegium:
butter-msg        (82K) 12/ 7/99    Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.

It also has some interesting comments about fresh vs. salted butter and
various period methods of making butter.

Since it was originally part of this file, this one might be worth
looking at also. It does have some interesting comments about various
creams, as well as sour cream. I never realized there was such a variety
until I was on this list for awhile.
dairy-prod-msg    (50K) 12/ 7/99    Dairy products. milk, butter, curds, cream.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net