SC - Sourdough rye crumbs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 24 13:07:08 PDT 2000

A while back I bought a loaf of Sourdough Rye bread. This got set aside
and not eaten and then my wife put it in the refrigerator where basically
it got hidden and not eaten. The plastic bag was one of those, unnoticed
by me at the time, that has the tiny holes in it, thus helping to dry
the bread further.

So, now I basically have a brick of hard, pretty dry, non-moldy bread.
I was thinking I might as well turn it into crumbs for some cooking
project in the future. My last use of commercial bread crumbs ended
up making gingerbread that was way, way too hard.

So should I put this bread in the oven on low heat to dry it further?
Just simply grind it up? Since this is a rye bread and not wheat are
there dishes I should be cautious in using the resulting crumbs in?
It does have caraway seeds, but I imagine these should sift or seperate
out easily enough.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net