Expecting historical Foods (was Re: SC - rare foods at feasts-rant)

Nicholas Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Mon Sep 25 12:17:45 PDT 2000

<<<<Ras Wrote:
 . . . . I would say that to not expect a period feast paid for or to find the feast not tasty is the result of ignorance in the first part and a bad cook in the second part.
I cannot conceive that any single individual in the SCA would not expect to
receive period food at any feast they attend in all circumstances. But then
again wearing black powder garb to events is accepted as appropriate so I
suppose that the slide outside of appropriate feast menus is not that much of
an unimaginative event either.
I serve period feasts, period. My shire serves period feasts, period.
Neighboring shires serve period feast, period. In my 18 years of SCA
participation I have had no other experience. To even conceive that this is
not so in other shires  is inconceivable :-)  >>>>>>>

I offer a new conception for you.  While the atmosphere is improving on a daily basis, there are numerous cooks in our region that do not cook historical foods, and don't intend to, by all accounts.  Eaters give stomping standing ovations to what amounts to Piccadily Cafeteria fare . . . VERY well prepared and quite tasty, but not what I look for at SCA meals.

I am enjoying the rennaisance (so to speak) of historically accurate foods in GA, and encourage it wherever I can.  My sermon is that if you can make a pot roast and potatoes, then you can certianly cook out of Pleyn Delite and The Medieval Kitchen.

There are many around not yet converted, and not really shopping for that particular clue.   What's worse is that those around them are reticent to challenge the belief that canned ham and boiled potatoes is great Feast Food.  At least we don't have SPAM or frozen lasagna anymore.

niccolo difrancesco