SC - rare foods at feasts-rant

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Sep 26 22:19:23 PDT 2000

At 5:01 AM -0400 9/26/00, Catherine Deville wrote:

>And it would seem odd to me to not be able to alter
>ingredients as I needed and as I go along ('course I was taught to cook by
>a mother, a grandmother, a father and a stepmother who all added
>*everything* "to taste" and almost never measured anything that they knew
>how to cook in advance).

If you are working from a period recipe, it generally specifies the
ingredients (although rarely the quantities), so if you "alter
ingredients as ... needed," one consequence is that you are moving
farther from an accurate reproduction of a period dish than if you
follow the original instructions--which you had available before you
made the feast.

Which raises an interesting question: Is providing advance
information on ingredients more common with cooks, or in areas, where
feasts are kept reasonably close to period than elsewhere?

- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/