SC - Re: Talking More About Miracle Whip

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 27 20:38:33 PDT 2000

Korrin S DaArdain wrote:

> Here is a recipe that includes a home made Mayonnaise.
>
> Korrin S. DaArdain
> Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com

Thank you! I know I'd been asked for a good mayo recipe, just haven't
gotten to it yet. This one is pretty close, but I have a couple of
comments.

I note that eggs are mentioned twice. One yolk should be enough for this
job, if you're careful, but two would work too. I'm not sure which is
intended, unless I just need to read this recipe more carefully to see
what's being done with it all.

The reference to 300 ml or 1/2 pint olive oil would be half an Imperial
pint, or ten ounces.

I highly recommend a mixture of the two; my experience is that unless
you're using an olive oil so light as to make it indistinguishable from
vegetable oil, in which case there's probably no point in buying it,
mayo made from all extra-virgin olive oil can have a somewhat heavy, and
slightly bitter flavor. I prefer half EV olive oil (the thick green
stuff) and half a lightly flavored (but not flavorless) oil such as
peanut oil.

Salt is your friend. So is lemon juice.

YMMV, I speak not in an attempt to sway those of different opinions, but
rather simply as someone who's made an awful lot of mayonnaise, in a lot
of different places, over the years.

Adamantius