Service Styles (was Re: SC - re: Dayboard - feast crashers)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Sep 27 20:49:30 PDT 2000

Manuscrito Anonimo, a thirteenth century Andalusian cookbook, has a
discussion of how feasts should be served. It explains that you
should not use the old-fashioned approach, in which your guests were
served a pile of rice with some of this on it in one place and some
of that on it in another place and ...   but instead should send out
each dish separately. So when we were doing an Islamic feast a good
many years back, we did the old-fashioned way, which greatly reduces
the amount of work. If you have (say) three recipes all of which you
want to serve over rice, you make a pile of rice on the tray, put one
thing at one end on the rice, one at the other, one in the middle.
You now have only one tray to take out for the whole course.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/