SC - Re: Talking More About Miracle Whip

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 28 08:23:28 PDT 2000

Diana L Skaggs wrote:

> At 11:38 PM 9/27/00 -0400, you wrote:
> >I highly recommend a mixture of the two; my experience is that unless
> >you're using an olive oil so light as to make it indistinguishable from
> >vegetable oil, in which case there's probably no point in buying it,
> >mayo made from all extra-virgin olive oil can have a somewhat heavy, and
> >slightly bitter flavor. I prefer half EV olive oil (the thick green
> >stuff) and half a lightly flavored (but not flavorless) oil such as
> >peanut oil.
>
> I agree with A. here.  I've had good luck with the mayo recipes in "Joy of
> Cooking." IIRC, one problem mentioned was not making mayo on a rainy day,
> because it won't emulsify (sp?).  The only time the mayo didn't blend was a
> rainy day.  Leanna - perverse enough to ruin ingredients experimenting on a
> rainy day.

That's one I've never heard. I know humidity has an adverse effect on
the extensibility of egg white proteins (which is why you occasionally
add cream of tartar to meringue), but I never understood it to be an
issue for emuslfied sauces. May I ask where you heard this? Is it
something you got from a cookbook, or is it some kind of culinary folklore?

Hey, there may be some truth to it, I don't know. It occurs to me,
though, that if humidity were an issue in professionals kitchens it
would be impossible to make mayonnaise in restaurants.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com