SC - new to list

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Sep 28 12:37:51 PDT 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Ariel is, in theory, the name of an archangel, and they are considered,
> by those as gives a hoot about these things, to be sexless spirits. For
> that matter, what about all the female Ashleys, Sidneys, and my all-time
> favorites, all the occupational surnames used as girls' names. Carter,
> Tailor, Sawyer, etc.
>
> Adamantius, who wants a daughter so he can name her Butcher, but whose
> lady wife, for some reason, objects

Ah, but Master A, you have to stop and contemplate all of the
ramifications of such a name. Just what will if be shortened to be
everyone around her? Butch. Which brings to my mind a picture of a
toothless 8-year-old, with very short hair, playing baseball, chasing
the neighbors' chickens, and generally getting into trouble. (His real
name was Bertram and somehow I can't blame him...)

My girls don't have it quite so bad- #1, Anne-Marie is often called
Annie, and sometimes Anna-Banana. #2 is Lydia, sometimes Lyddie, and
sometimes "Lydia oh Lydia oh have you seen Lydia- Lydia the Tattooed
Lady" at which point she covers her ears and yells
"LALALALALALALALALALA" very loudly. Poor thing, to be famous before her
time.

I'm siding with your wife on Butcher. But how 'bout Tanner? Just as
messy, and twice as smelly!

'Lainie