SC - Easy period soups?

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Fri Sep 29 06:34:55 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "david friedman" <ddfr at best.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 11:50 PM
Subject: SC - Easy period soups?

> I emailed the lady who did the T.I. article on feeding an army,
> raising the question of whether there were suitable period foods she
> could use. With regard to soup, she said that she thought she
> remembered hearing about a period version of bouillion made from
> gelatin. Does that ring any bells?

In one of my Amer. Colonial cookbooks (which has disappeared on me, knowing
I'm looking for it) there is a mention of drying soup in teacups, making
sort of a soup "glue". The quote says that, while traveling, a piece of this
glue slipped on the tongue, will relieve both thirst and hunger. There's no
recipe given, that I can recall, but I would guess that consommé boiled down
and left to dry out would do, although probably not very food-safe.

Beatrix
(who really needs to organize her cookbooks better)

- ---