SC - Easy period soups?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Sep 29 11:27:56 PDT 2000

At 12:31 PM -0400 9/29/00, Jenne Heise wrote:
>  > gelatin. Does that ring any bells? More generally, can anyone think
>>  of a period soup recipe that is easy and inexpensive to make, and
>>  would thus be a suitable replacement for a modern dehydrated chicken
>>  soup?
>
>To be honest, having carted around period soups in jars to dayboards, no
>period soup is going to be a suitable replacement for what they are doing,
>because you are going to have to screw around with making broth from
>scratch.

Le Menagier has a little section on "unprepared soup," but I don't
think any of the ones he gives would work for the purpose. I'm not
sure whether any other period cookbooks have similar recipes or not.
I was thinking about something where you either make something very
concentrated or dried and then throw it into boiling water, or
something where you make the broth on the spot in some easy way.

The first of the Menagier ones, for example, is:

"Have parsley and fry it in butter, then throw boiling water on it
and make it boil: and add salt, and garnish as any soup."

That isn't much work, but I doubt that hungry fighters would find it
very satisfactory.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/