Subject: SC - Re: New Zealand cuisine

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 03:10:04 PDT 2001

A while back on this list someone brought up their favorite idea of
how to roast a chicken. Basically it was to hang a chicken by a string
near the fire and twist the string tight. It would then unwind and
start winding up the other direction and then reverse etc until the
motion slowed down. At which time you wind the string up and start
again.

The thread is in the Florilegium. I believe in the chicken-msg file.
Oops no. It is in the roast-chicken-msg file. I have pasted the
first message of the thread below to help folks remember what I'm
talking about.

Anyway, at that time I don't believe anyone implied that it might be
a period method. However, in reading C. Anne Wilson's "Food and Drink
in Britain", there is a passage that makes me think it might be.
Unfortunately, it is difficult to determine exactly which years Wilson
is talking about as she skips back and forth through the years.

p 98
"Poor people, who could not afford a spit and its accompanying tackle,
hung their pieces of meat from a string in front of the fire, and
turned them by hand."

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net