SC - Re: Lenten question

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 2 15:50:05 PDT 2001

Mel asked
And to get everything back on track, is alcohol for cooking considered
appropriate for Lent?  Or is it one of the things that one must abstain
from?  The campsite I am part of at Rowany Festival this year is doing a pot
luck Lenten Feast on Good Friday, and Drake and I are unsure of the exact
Lenten rules covering this period.

Cooking in alcohol is admissible for Lent. Although indulgence or
extravagance was frowned upon, only meat and diary products are proscribed
by law. Personal abstinence/fasting is yet another matter.

On the other hand, although it's one of the two oldest 'feast' days in the
Christian year, Good (or Great or Holy) Friday is a feast of grief. So if
you were truly keeping with the idea of fasting / Lent perhaps a more simple
dish might be more appropriate! <grin>

I remember when I was young disliking Good Friday as it was always a day of
church-going with a very plain fish meal, and we weren't allowed our Easter
eggs until Easter Monday...truly patience-testing when you're a child!

Ciao
Lucrezia

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.