SC - Re: verjuice

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Mon Apr 2 13:53:03 PDT 2001

- --============_-1225888104==_ma============

Cassea wrote:

>Greetings good gentles.
>
>Having recently been convinced to join the list by 'Lainie, I have been
>dutifully trying to catch up on the reading.  (Currently, I think I'm 5 days
>behind). So much info, so little reading time.

Welcome. I'm more than a month behind, which is why this thread is
coming up again.

>The subject of seasonal food availability has recently been growing near and
>dear to my heart.  However, one subject that hasn't been brought up (or at
>least between February 13th and 18th) in conjunction with food availability
is religious food restrictions. ...

>  I, however, have decided that sometime in the future there
>should be a Lenten feast in my barony; I am starting to plan my research
>strategy in the back of my brain.
>
>Does anyone know any good sources for period Lenten restrictions and
>recipes? (And no, I haven't looked on the Florilegium yet.)

The medieval European Christian fast-day restrictions were (this is
based on reading a lot of period recipes, which often say what to do
for a fish day or for a fish day in Lent):

1. On ordinary fast days, also called fish days, you could eat fish
but not beasts or fowl.

2. On fast days in Lent, you could still eat fish but could not eat
meat (as above), eggs, or dairy products.

3. But--Sundays in Lent are not properly part of Lent (if you count
from Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday, you only get the forty days of
Lent if you leave out the Sundays), so are not fast days.

I've often thought that these were in part making a virtue out of
necessity. By early spring, you aren't getting much eggs, you've
eaten the salt meat and the surviving animals are the ones you are
keeping to breed, the cows aren't giving milk yet, you've eaten most
of the cheeses, and what little you have of these kinds of food you
can easily save for Sundays.

I haven't done a Lenten feast yet, though I have had the idea in the
back of my mind for years. Various possible dishes (worked-out
recipes in the Miscellany Cariadoc and I wrote, available on-line):
there is a Spanish salmon casserole Brighid translated a while back
which is really good and looks striking, or alternatively an English
grilled salmon with onion sauce ("Salmon roste in Sauce"); Fried
Broad Beans with sage and figs and greens; rice cooked with almond
milk and fried almonds as a garnish; imitation noodles-and-cheese
with an almond milk sauce taking the place of the cheese; a pie made
with chickpeas; various sorts of fritters, cooked in oil (Losenges
Fryes, or Frytour Blaunched); and end with hippocras (spiced wine)
and wafers (we don't have a good wafer recipe, but other people do).
What I really need is more good fish dishes.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook

- --============_-1225888104==_ma============

 --></style><title>Re: SC - list newbie/Seasonal
Having recently been convinced to join the list by 'Lainie, I have
been<br>
dutifully trying to catch up on the reading.  (Currently, I
think I'm 5 days<br>
behind). So much info, so little reading time.</blockquote>
is coming up again.</div>
availability has recently been growing near and<br>
dear to my heart.  However, one subject that hasn't been brought
up (or at<br>
least between February 13th and 18th) in conjunction with food
availability</blockquote>
sometime in the future there</blockquote>
am starting to plan my research<br>
strategy in the back of my brain.<br>
Does anyone know any good sources for period Lenten restrictions
and</blockquote>
the Florilegium yet.)</blockquote>
is based on reading a lot of period recipes, which often say what to
do for a fish day or for a fish day in Lent):</div>
fish but not beasts or fowl.</div>
eat meat (as above), eggs, or dairy products.</div>
count from Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday, you only get the forty
days of Lent if you leave out the Sundays), so are not fast
days.</div>
of necessity. By early spring, you aren't getting much eggs, you've
eaten the salt meat and the surviving animals are the ones you are
keeping to breed, the cows aren't giving milk yet, you've eaten most
of the cheeses, and what little you have of these kinds of food you
can easily save for Sundays.</div>
the back of my mind for years. Various possible dishes (worked-out
recipes in the Miscellany Cariadoc and I wrote, available on-line):
there is a Spanish salmon casserole Brighid translated a while back
which is really good and looks striking, or alternatively an English
grilled salmon with onion sauce ("<font color="#000000">Salmon
roste in Sauce</font>"); Fried Broad Beans with sage and figs
and greens; rice cooked with almond milk and fried almonds as a
garnish; imitation noodles-and-cheese with an almond milk sauce
taking the place of the cheese; a pie made with chickpeas; various
sorts of fritters, cooked in oil (<font color="#000000">Losenges
end with hippocras (spiced wine) and wafers (we don't have a good
wafer recipe, but other people do). What I really need is more good
fish dishes.</div>