SC - Ancient weights and measures

Jill James j_djames at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 2 19:19:30 PDT 2001

Adamantius wrote:

>(these appear to be, in turn, nearly identical to Swedish lompe recipes,
>except perhaps in size and scored texture; the ones I've made with
>Norwegian-American friends are made with potatoes, salt, flour, and oil
only).

Lefse can actually be a lot of things. I've got a regional Norwegian
cookbook that has something like 15 very widely differing lefse recipes.
Only three or four include potatoes. Some are sweet, some are flavored with
cardamom; some use no fat at all, others use quite a lot of butter or
margarine; ome are made of wheat flour only, others use a mixture of wheat
and rye. Some are baked in an oven, others are fried.

Nanna