SC - list newbie/Seasonal food.

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Mon Apr 2 19:39:13 PDT 2001

And it came to pass on 2 Apr 01, , that James Prescott wrote:

> Wine is included in some of the period concocted substitutes, but
> as far as I recall vinegar is not mentioned in any of them (I'd be
> interested if anyone has a counter example).

De Nola (1529) generally suggests (sour) orange juice as an
alternative to verjuice, though in a few places he calls for lemon
juice or white vinegar, and in one recipe he says, "blend the sauce
with some sour stuff such as verjuice or white vinegar which has been
watered down or mixed with wine, so that it does not remain very strong,
or with orange juice".

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann