SC - (OT) "Medireview" ???

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Apr 2 21:04:43 PDT 2001

meliora at asiaonline.net.au writes:

<< Hrolf's assertion:
      " I can say that this is one of the areas of the world where methods do
 not
     change (with the exception of the tomato / tamarind swap and the ready
     adoption of chilli - which was done in period) over the centuries."

   is *arrant rubbish*.  >>

AS a middle eastern persona whose specific interest is  period  ME cookery, I
 agree that Hrolf sounds out in left field. My personal experience shows that
 modern middle eastern cuisine is as different from period middle eastern
cuisine as modern American cookery is from early native American cookery.

Certainly sinilar elements can be found but those elements are minor and
insignificant when looking at the entire cuisine. At the recent Hafla that I
was co-kitchen steward for, trying to convince the powers that be that this
was so was an on-going struggle resulting in and mixed modern/period 'mezza'
menu and an all period feast served in a modern way.

Ras