SC - (OT) "Medireview" ???

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue Apr 3 05:34:46 PDT 2001

	K. wrote:
	Sure, people would still eat communally, and large households (and
	especially the huge households attached to a royal court) would eat
in a
	Great Hall with the a high table and numerous dishes and all that...
but
	would they put on a big show of it, or would it be relatively
austere?

Sorry, didn't quite finish!

It depended on the strength of the religious convictions of the lord/lady of
the house.
There are accounts of households where austere Lents were kept and others
where the Lenten rules were not broken but certainly bent like a Mobius
tube.
The one that sticks in my mind being a C.15th feast given by the Duke of
Cumberland (or Clarence? something beginning with C), attended by some
foreign dignitary and his staff who were rather shocked to be given goose -
because barnacle goose = fish, seeing as how it was born and raised at sea.
Hmm. <dubious eyebrow quirk>
Another loophole was the selling of indulgences for butter and diary
products in Lent, which was a very nice little money earner for the Church
and caused no small amount of acrimony, especially in the northern countries
where oil was generally more expensive and of poorer quality - indeed Martin
Luther cited butter indulgence selling as one of the corruptions of the
Roman Church.
Another interesting blip was the classification of beaver tail as fish and
Lent-edible - though the rest of it was not (!) and therefore couldn't be
served during Lent.

	It seems to me that a Lenten feast might be a good opportunity to
hold a
	smaller, more intimate feast with less pomp and wossname.
	But this is based on no actual documentation, just a gut feeling.
I'd
	love to see some actual primary source material on it.

There are also lots of accounts of monastic culinary excesses and evasions -
though I can't remember any Lenten ones offhand. Sorry, don't have my books
at work, but if you are interested I can send you some Lent-specific
references later as I'm actually researching it at the moment.

Overall I would say that the type of Lenten 'feast' ranged right across the
board - it would be perfectly apt for you to be a somewhat lax faster and
provide your household with a magnificent Lenten feast - maybe even with one
dish using butter as long as you could produce the requisite indulgence
<grin>.

Al Servizio Vostro, e del Sogno
Lucrezia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at yahoo.com | http://www.geocities.com/thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.