baklava recipe (was Re: SC - Help with Cooking period Italianfood.)

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 3 11:21:16 PDT 2001

I ran tavern at Sheep Wars this weekend.  I wasn't concerned with period food,
so I did brats and hamburgers.  Smoked brisket and smoked turkey legs (I wanted
to see how my new smoker would do). There were about 150 attendees, and I broke
even (yippie). I did biscuits and gravy or meat fillings and omelettes for
breakfast both mornings.  Biscuits and gravy sold out on Saturday, but only sold
one on Sunday.  Sold lots of omelettes both mornings.

It was chilly, so iced drinks didn't do well.  Hot tea and coffee were drinks
for the day.

Make sure you have good help.  My serving wench got drunk and didn't show up
until 1 pm Saturday afternoon. Repeat story on Sunday. It's hard to cook, take
orders, and make change all by yourself.

If I do this again, I'm smoking the brisket in advance and slicing it at home.
Freeze and reheat on the grill or in a slow cooker (I did have electricity
available).

Everyone enjoyed the food.

Liadan