SC - Aw, the Joys of the Florilegium -OT

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 13:29:59 PDT 2001

 > Am I off track in thinking there could be a misinterpretation of
>"verjuice grape varities"?  It seems the track of thought here is that
>there were varieites grown to make verjuice.  I am thinking that there
>are just varieties (grown for some other primary purpose) whose green
>fruit, possibly from culls/trimming as done today, made best verjuice
>rather than specific cultivation for this use.

Could there be both, depending on the place/time? I seem to remember
someone, probably a garden writer, saying that while it became impossible
to grow grapes for wine in England during the later part of the middle
ages, grapes were still grown for verjuice?

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"The worst thing I can say of a person is, 'they couldn't be bothered'."