SC - OT-Peeps

Steve s.mont at verizon.net
Wed Apr 4 07:24:21 PDT 2001

Adamantius wrote:

>Various sources, ranging, I believe, from period poetry to a recent
>history of cod harvesting (I can't find it right now) speak of dried cod
>being "the hardtack of the Vikings". In other words, a lightweight,
>easily transported, easily preserved when dry, food which could be
>broken up into shavings or chips and eaten as is.

Still is, you know; in fact I just had some for lunch. Well, it was dried
haddock, which is much more common, but essentially the same. It is a very
popular snack here, especially for travels; every roadside shop has a good
selection. It costs about $20-25 per pound, but a little goes a long way.

>Essentially unflavored
>cod jerky. Harmless enough, if not very flavorful by most standards.

The fish itself is flavorful enough, when it has lost about 90% of its
weight in the drying process.

Nanna