SC - Re: AEthelmearc's Coronation Feast

ConnorsKitchen@aol.com ConnorsKitchen at aol.com
Wed Apr 4 08:30:33 PDT 2001

- --part1_f7.8bf850d.27fc9749_boundary

In a message dated 4/4/01 7:45:10 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

> Or the young woman who was visiting my house who was horrified that I have a
> VERY OLD coyote fur collar on my cloak...I picked it up at a yard sale, and
> it
> obviously had seen several uses before I acquired it.  She also informed me
> that
> she wouldn't eat meat because that was cruel to animals as well.  I then
> asked
> her where she thought her leather shoes, bag and belt came from!  She
> allowed as
> how she hadn't thought about that!
>
> Kiri

Kiri, I do the same thing with my furs that I buy and restructure for SCA
use. I buy the old minks, etc., at yard sales, thrift stores, etc. And then
rip them apart. It makes me feel better that nothing *currently* has given up
its little life for the project. Also, there was a great post that went
around many moons ago that said something similar about leather, and
feathers, and so on. It brought up animal testing for meds, cosmetics;
petroleum products used to make clothes that were dangerous to animal
habitats due to drilling, etc. It ended with a statement that said
approximately, "If you aren't wearing linen or silk clothes, shoes made of
wood and reed, makeup from herbs you ground yourself, etc., then you have no
reason to accost anyone as your view of 'saving the little animals' is narrow
and skewed...."

And has anyone else but me noticed the pendulum swinging back the other way
with designers now and the clothing industry in general? They used to develop
fake furs that were *obviously fake* (thinking blue leopard here). Then they
went to furs that were wonderful knock offs of the real thing. Now, they are
actually including *real* fur again in their lines. I keep thinking that
maybe it is like the cigar smoking that came back into fashion. I get the
feeling that people are getting tired of being PC and being told *how* to be
PC; sorta the revenge-enjoyment statement to the world (I'll buy fur because
I *want* fur and nothing you say is going to change my mind, so there).

Lars

- --part1_f7.8bf850d.27fc9749_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ff80c0"><FONT  COLOR="#800080" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Collage" LANG="0">In a message dated 4/4/01 7:45:10 AM US Mountain Standard Time,