SC - Florilegium -Furs and OT

KallipygosRed@aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Wed Apr 4 11:02:50 PDT 2001

>Just a small point...if you are wearing real silk, then you are
>harming the little silkworm that is trying to spin a cocoon to do
>it's metamorphosis into the little butterfly that is it's reward for
>having to be a worm...grin
>
>Just thought I'd mention it...stir, stir, stir...L
>
>Gyric

In order to get the fine type of silk that is most desirable, the
little wormies are boiled alive in their shells, errr, cocoons.

But there are several kinds of silk that at least traditionally were
made from broken cocoons after the larvae had hatched. It has to be
spun because, rather than one long continuous filament, it is many
shorter strands. I believe tussah was one of these. Also wild silks
rather than "domesticated" silk have beige rather than white the
filaments.

So, one can wear silk and still not kill.

Oh, those cute little silk worms <VBG> Cutchie, cutchie coo.

Anahita