SC - Cucumbers and the SCA

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Wed Apr 4 13:10:18 PDT 2001

> But remember that these people eat poisonous fish, too."  So I ask
> you - are not tomato leaves poisonous?????????
> Mercedes

Encyclopedia Britannica thinks so:
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?eu=74730

Excerpt:
"(The roots and leaves of the tomato plant are in fact poisonous; they
contain the neurotoxin solanine.)"

As for the fish, I believe you're talking about the fugu (Fugu
rubripes) which contains tetrodotoxin.  There is a strict testing and
licensing system (in Japan at least) for fugu chefs.
http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2001/01/21/national/FUGU21.htm

They're only dangerous to eat if they're prepared improperly.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00041514.htm

They're also quite useful in genetics research, it seems.
http://fugu.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/fugu/