SC - Not eating cute furry animals

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu Apr 5 10:06:27 PDT 2001

> Have you heard the Denis Leary bit on that: We argue against doing things to
> cute fuzzies. Brown Otter--Oh, look, it's cute, fuzzy and does human things
> with it's hands. Okay, you're saved. The cow--get in the truck. But the cow
> says, "Hey, I'm an animal." and we say, "Nah, you're a wallet. Get in the
> truck."

Aren't brown otters related to ferrets, too? Now there's an animal that is safe from
being eaten because the concept is nasty- who'd eat something that smelled that bad.

Philosophically, I personally feel I'm being fairer, somehow, to eat a domestic animal
like a steer, since generally they get something out of it-- deer and rabbits live hard
lives, generally not made easier by the fact that there is no open season on real estate
developers.

Again, I don't care what YOU eat as long as you ain't shooting at it where I'm trying to
walk, and I don't own it or have a personal relationship with it. (Living in upstate NY
in the fall tends to make one favor an IQ test for the hunting license and open season,
no bag limit, on drunk hunters, believe me.)

Of course, getting shot is still better than getting squished by a car driving down a
road that some other damn fool decided HAD to run through the middle of your grazing
ground so that more people could drive really really fast to places they didn't want to
be in the first place. But I'd still like to see an open season for real estate
developers. Run 'em down in cars, I say.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"He cooks eternally, imperturbably, suspended in the chaos of which the
Master interprets the meaning..." Kipling, "With the Night Mail"