SC - Frozen Otter Nipples?

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 5 16:42:27 PDT 2001

Ras wrote:
>The translated recipe occurs in  Cariadoc's 'Collection of Medieval and
>Renaissance Cookbooks, Volume II in the Book of the Beloved. It is walnut
>based.

I found two recipes in His Grace Cariadoc's cookbook collection,
volume 2, Misc-3

from "The Link to the Beloved" mss., also in "The Description of
Familiar Foods and "The Book of Dishes"

Sals. Parsley and a little rue are minced. Then walnuts, hazelnuts,
almonds, pistachio, pepper, cinnamon, mastic, tahinah, oil, lemon
juice, saffron, thyme, coriander, caraway, garlic, and vinegar are
added to it, and it is covered. It becomes most excellent.

White sals. Walnut meats, garlic, pepper, cinnamon, white mustard,
tahinah, and lemon juice.

Anyone know what they meant by white mustard? Did they mean yellow, not black?

>I have posted my redaction of the recipe to this list several times. Perhaps
>someone more organized than I  can  post it again or perhaps Stefan has put
>it in his Flore-thingy. Otherwise I will  try to find it but can't promise
>when.

OK, i found it in the Florilegium