SC - Heinlein's obit

Marcus Antaya mjantaya at home.com
Thu Apr 5 18:12:51 PDT 2001

I am a low carb, metformin snacking type II diabetic ... ;-)
I am currently fighting with the new doctor and
witchdoct\\\\\\nutritionist the Navy just saddled me with.
I eat [well, I do go off for events and Pennsic when I feel I can
justify the occasional treat  ;-) ] 5 small meals a day, 1 3-5 oz
portion of meat/protein [egg, cheese, swiftly moving vegetable] and 2
servings of non starch veggies [anything but eggplant, okra, shrooms,
legumes, grains, potato-y things. I eat the green leafy things,
cruciforms, lettuces, carrots, celery, artichokes and the like.] I don't
go nuts with all of the animal fats the way that many low carbers do [I
tend to cook with olive oil and season only using butter, instead of
cooking with butter/lard/tallow and seasoning with butter.

Running it through and looking up my average menu for a day, I am
getting a general minimum of 30 gr fiber, 60 gr carb max [generally
less] and 60 - 80 gr protein. I am getting plenty of green stuff, and
more fiber than most people who do the common fast food and convenience
food crap. I also supplement with a good multivitamin just in case there
is something I might be missing [not wanting to look up every
micronutrient like manganese, and specific vitamin content of veggies
;-)  ]

At feast, I tend to avoid the bread, and starches, and concentrate on
the meats [I check with the kitchener before going to the event to make
sure that I can work around the menu, and I also take stuff of my own to
make sure that i can get enough to eat. Typically I throw in a bag of
assorted raw veggies, cheese, sausage and hard boiled eggs. Good generic
medievaloid foods that lurk well in coolers.] Although at feast I will
be more relaxed about thickening and sugars in sauces or breading on
meats than I am at home.
margali
[the previous doctor and nutritionist put me on the blasted diet, and
the new one thinks it will kill me off. I just can't win!]
- --

MarilynTraber at FictionForest.com
HTTP://WWW.FictionForest.com
The Quote Starts Here:
I always try to
make sure there is a good meat dish sans carbs that I can eat extra of
so i can
skip the entire rest of the meal :)  I'd be interested to hear if anyone
else
has dealt with the low carb issue at
feasts, be it for health or fad reasons.