SC - Sweet potatoes

Diana L Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Sun Apr 8 03:31:47 PDT 2001

In a message dated 4/7/2001 9:11:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nannar at isholf.is writes:

> There is also an African groundnut, Vigna subterranea or bambara - I think
>  it is known as goober pea in America.

I'm not disputing this, but we always referred to peanuts as "goobers". Well,
unless we're talking about somebody that isn't that bright.. <G> Giving rise
to such witticisms as  "When hold a Mayoral election, we elect a Mayor, but
when we hold a Gubernatorial election, we elect a Goober...."

Maybe you have to be down here to get it....

Maybe when they brought over the slaves they (the slaves) assumed the peanut
was a local version of this groundnut, and used the same word. It's also
possible that the "African" groundnut is a variant of the peanut from Peru.
It's all speculation from my end at this point.

Corwyn

We need justice. We need toleration, honesty and moral courage. These are
modern virtues without which we cannot hope to control the forces science has
let loose among us. --I.A.R. Wylie