SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #3082

Willhameena Power Willhameena.Power at hunter.health.nsw.gov.au
Sun Apr 8 21:08:45 PDT 2001

- ----- Original Message -----
From: UlfR

> "Pour the cooking broth into a blender with breadcrumbs and seasonings
> and blend until smooth...". In neither the original text they list,
> the matching one in Curye on Inglyish, or on
> http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/foc/FoC095small.html did I find any
> mentioning of sieving or otherwise pulping the poor innocent salmon.

Reading this, I don't see any evidence that the _salmon_ is to be pulped,
just the breadcrumbs in the broth, which seems to be a common thickening,
like flour is for us.  I wonder if the authors thought that smoothing the
breadcrumb thickening was a given in medieval recipes which was omitted
simply because it was so obvious?  Kind of like not necessarily telling a
modern cook ... actually, I can't think of an example off hand, all my
cookbooks seem to be written with non-cooks in mind so all the instructions
are spelled out.

*sigh* I think my brain has gone on holiday today!

Gwynydd