SC - sweet potatoes

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 9 12:20:49 PDT 2001

> How period is this dish & where does it originate from?  I am asking because
> the feastocrat for our up coming event wants to serve squash (plain squash
> ...yuck)  with the main dish.  She is also wanting to serve rice (with cream
> of mushroom soup mixed in .. uck again!) . Would rice with sauted mushrooms
> be a period style way of serving?
> Our feastocrat is new to this whole period cooking style & none of us want
> to discourage or disappoint,  just to lead her in the proper direction would
> be a blessing!!

Hm. the first thing I'd think about doing is asking your feastocrat how she picked her
dishes. There are obvious things to think about with her choices: if you are not in the
southern hemisphere, this isn't peak season for squash; as far as the rice with
mushrooms, there's the consideration of all the mushroomphobes and those allergic to
mushrooms out there who then won't eat the rice.  But I suspect that if you ask her why
she is making the food choices she is, you'll find a good way to suggest alternatives if
necessary.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"He cooks eternally, imperturbably, suspended in the chaos of which the
Master interprets the meaning..." Kipling, "With the Night Mail"