SC -

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon Apr 9 13:39:04 PDT 2001

>The meat heavy diet in the US probably has more to do with 1) meat being
>relatively inexpensive and 2) the advent of a rail to market transportation
>system in the 19th Century which made meat a common product.

This feeds into my earlier point, equating meat with prosperity.  We
streamlined production and transportation to meet the demand for the
product.  As the price drops and availability increases, a greater range of
consumers begin buying the product, so production steps up.  More gets
produced, and consumption steps up as well.  It becomes circular; "Crunch
all you want; we'll make more."  We wanted more meat, so we came up with
ways to produce large amounts relatively cheaply. But why did we want all
this meat in the first place?

I think it's due to this deep-seated cultural programming.  "Wealthy people
eat meat.  If I eat meat, I must be wealthy."

Vicente