SC - REC: tzimmis

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Mon Apr 9 15:49:44 PDT 2001

The cold weather isn't completely over, so i thought i'd post these
recipes. The first contains "period" ingredients, but as far as i
know my recipe is about 35 years old, so i can't say it's period :-)
Both beverages are sold at stalls in night markets.

Bandrek
(from Toenggoel Siagian, in his words)

sliced fresh ginger
several cinnamon sticks
handful of whole cloves
several whole cardamom pods
water, plenty
palm or brown sugar, lots

Bring to a boil, simmer 15-30 min. Strain.

I'd say at least a quart of water.
Sugar to taste - 1/2 cup or more.
If you can find it, palm sugar is super delicious, and would have
been used in "the old days". Sugar cane was brought to Indonesia by
the Dutch in either the 17th or 18th century who grew it via forced
labor for export. Sugar cane is still grown in Indonesia today.

Bandrek is drunk in cold weather in Indonesia; and late at night to
revive you; and perhaps just before or after an intimate physical
experience for vitality (this is not claimed to be aphrodisiac, just
energizing).

- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Another beverage, similarly used, and also medicinally for colds is:

Wedang Jahe (jah-hey)
(learned from I Wayan Lendra)

sliced fresh ginger
juice of a 2 or 3 jeruk nipis
palm or brown sugar to taste
water

I've never seen jeruk nipis in the US. The fruit is round and
smallish, the skin is green, and the flesh is yellow or slightly
orangey yellow. The flavor is hard to define, sort of a combination
of lime, lemon and orange, not as strong as a lemon, but too sour to
be drunk without a little sweetening. Jeruk nipis is NOT the
so-called kafir lime from Thailand. You could try one lime, one
lemon, and one juice orange or just make it with lemon juice.

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan and dilute with a little water.
Bring to a boil and simmer for around 15 minutes. Should have a VERY
strong ginger flavor. Very curative of fatigue and also seems good if
you have a cold.

I don't know how far back jeruk nipis goes. (jeruk is the word that
means a citrus fruit, nipis is the specific kind.)

Anahita Mutiarawati